Skip to main content

A GOOD WEEKEND IN PURGATORY

Nine years ago when I moved from Heaven to Purgatory--yes, I'm the first to be so demoted--I posted:

COULD 15 CRAIGSIDE BE PURGATORY?

That photo is of both where I came from, on the right, and where I now live.  To quote from that article about why I thought I was in purgatory:

  • The people here are all nice, but, perhaps not perfectly purified, especially me.

  • We're located next door to 2101 Craigside, where my apartment is close to Heaven.

  • Except for my ocean view side, we are surrounded by graveyards (by the way, that tennis court and pool belongs to 2101 Craigside, where my penthouse apartment will soon be back on sale):

Since then I've written about Purgatory on numerous occasions, always on Sundays.  To again quote from one of these postings in 2016:

You ask, how do I know so much about the laws of Purgatory.  Simple, I just made them up.  However, if anyone out there in the ether can send me verifiable proof of any house rules associated with Purgatory, please let me know. 

And another one in 2019, where I showed a graphic on where Purgatory fits in the circle of life and death.

What made my weekend in Purgatory so good?  Football games and local cuisine.  

  • Best of all, Hawaii also kicked a field goal, with no time left, to beat New Mexico State, 20-17.  We lost last year to them 45-26.  At half time we were behind 17-3, and I was one of the very few who returned to the 15 Craigside theater for the second half.  If I saw this game in my apartment TV, I would have had to pay around $70.
  • The only full NFL game I will watch today has Tua leading the Miami Dolphins to a sure victory over the Denver Broncos.  Sure.  Yes, sure, because the fourth quarter has just started and the Dolphins lead 56-13.  In the first half, Tua was passing at 100%, I think 16 out of 16.  (Added this later in the day:  Miami 70 - Denver 20.)

Friday began with a 15 Craigside golf outing at the Moanalua Golf Course:

The group.
I was in a foursome which included Bree, the Chief Operating Officer of 15C.  This was THE VERY FIRST TIME SHE EVER PLAYED ON A REAL GOLF COURSE!!!  This is her first swing.  She played amazingly well.
The course, and note those egrets on the right.
Our group:  David, Bree and Steve.
We then returned to 15C to join a wine party.  I donated a door prize bottle.  Dave chaired this golf event.
Winners of my bottle.
Our golf group.  They also served beer.  We had to return before celebrating because no one should drive after drinking.  
I might add that I played fabulously.  Once a year everything comes together, and it did for me on Friday.  I won some money.

Actually, the weekend began on Thursday with Pasta Night.
Various wines were served.
An assortment of pasta.
Chef Jordan.
Marco and Chase at the Caesar Salad table.
Canoli parfait.
Bree with Gorden and Bob.
Weekend meals in my apartment.
Upcoming this weekend:
  • Yom Kippur begins at sundown tonight.
    • Most solemn of Jewish holidays, which began with Rosh Hashanah.
    • Jews seek to expiate their sins and achieve reconciliation with God.
    • Tenth and final day of the High Holidays, or Days of Awe.
    • If you're true, you abstain from food, drink and sex, and instead pray and meditate.
  • The second Republican presidential debate will occur at 9PM EDT on Wednesday from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
    • The list of candidates might drop to six, plus Donald Trump, who is practicing to be invisible.
    • Will air live on FOX Business and Univision.
    • Will be moderated by Stuart Varney, Dana Perino and Ilia Calderón.
    • The third debate will occur in November from Miami.
    • There will be no Democratic Party primary debate.
    • No General Election Debates currently scheduled, but in 2020 they were held on September 29 and October 22.  Trump could still participate from jail.
  • The new fiscal year starts on October 1.  
    • House Republicans are infighting, and need to pass at least a continuing resolution on Saturday, September 30.  
    • What will no doubt happen is passage of a short-term spending bill to keep the government running through October 31.  Then what?
    • There were three government shutdowns during Donald Trump's regime, and he is publicly supporting another government closure to make Biden look bad.  What logic.
    • While all those animations go on in the House, the Senate will begin to advance a stopgap funding bill.  Maybe the House could then actually pass that in reverse.
The Major League Baseball regular season ends on Sunday, October 1.  If the World Series goes to 7 games, that will be November 5.  If so, it will become the latest ending ever for professional baseball.  Maybe global warming will help.

- 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 1 on the DIAMOND PRINCESS

But first, Sheraton Yokohama Bay highlights of our Sheraton Club eats/drinks and breakfasts. Breakfast stations. Then taxi off to the Diamond Princess.  Fall colors. Approaching from the rear of the Diamond Princess. Departure of Diamond Princess from Yokohama, Departure snack of lamb, beef, penne pasta, Johnny Walker Gold and champagne. Leaving Yokohama. We then went to Kai Sushi for dinner, Sushi and sake dinner, Then, off to Fun Dance Class. That followed by karaoke. The night continued into some old time disco.  Finally, after midnight, back to our stateroom.  Walked 4127 steps today. -

DAY 4 IN SEOUL: Most popular Korean Songs from the 1950's to the Present

Korean music was almost totally missing, growing up in Hawaii.  The exception was  Arirang .   Today, BTS and BLACKPINK resonate around the world.  In addition to the 600 year-old  Arirang,  what is the all-time #1?  My favorites are: Baby Shark , released by Pinkfong in 2016. For one, it is the most-viewed You Tube video ever, hitting 7 billion views and surpassing  Despacito  in 2022.   Is now up to 16.47 billion views, with  Despacito  at 9 billion. Top 10 music videos, based on data from   Kworb   and   Wikipedia :  Note that most are nursery songs. "Baby Shark Dance"   – Pinkfong Kids' Songs & Stories (16.47 billion) "Despacito"   – Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee (8.91 billion) "Wheels on the Bus"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (8.29 billion) "Bath Song"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (7.31 billion) "Johny Johny Yes Papa"   – LooLoo Kids (7.13 billion) "See You Again"   –...

THE VERY BEST MOVIE MUSICALS

Two weeks ago I featured the   best dance films.   Many of them are repeated here because where there is dance, there is also music.  An excellent best musical list from   IndieWire : #1    Singin' in the Rain (1954) #2    All that Jazz (Bob Fosse, 1979) #3    West Side Story (1961) #4    Dancer in the Dark (2000), featuring Björk #5    Mary Poppins (1964), nominated for 13 Oscars #6    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) #7    The Wizard of Oz (1939) #8    Nashville (1975) #9    Cabaret (1972) #10  Moulin Rouge (2001) #11  The Sound of Music (1965) #12  La La Land (2016) #13  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) #14  My Fair Lady (1964) #15  Fiddler on the Roof (1971) #16  The Red Shoes (1948) #17  A Star is Born (1954), there was another in 1937, then 1976, and finally 2018.  The 1954 version starred Judy Garland and James Mason. #18  The...