Skip to main content

SO HOW WAS OUR LATEST TRIP?

Nice to be home after our 5-week trip.  Here was our sunset view in Honolulu last night from where I am composing this posting.

This morning.

And towards Punchbowl Crater.

Meanwhile, the price of oil jumped today. Adding to investors’ worries, a meeting set for today between Iran and Gulf countries regarding Hormuz was postponed “in the interests of consensus,” Oman’s foreign minister wrote on X. The international oil benchmark, Brent crude, rose as high as $108, while U.S. crude oil touched $103 per barrel.
The bad news about Tropical Storm Norbert still at 40 MPH is that he is not turning more southward, once on a path taking him south of the Big Island.  Now, Norbert is heading straight for the middle of the Hawaiian Islands.  However, environmental conditions are such that the system is expected to degenerate into a post-tropical remnant low tomorrow, then dissipate by Wednesday.  It should be rainy and not so windy on Thursday.

We in Hawaii are now paranoid about these ocean storms, so what about Tropical Depression 15-E which has formed in the Eastern Pacific?  No problem, while there are sustained winds of 35 MPH, the system might strengthen some today before beginning to weaken from Tuesday night or Wednesday.

About other newsworthy items:

However, I'm not familiar with any of the above series.  From Google AI:

According to data from Nielsen, streaming captured a record 44.8% of total television viewing time, outpacing broadcast (20.1%) and cable (24.1%) combined for the first time. A Pew Research Center survey also shows that 83% of U.S. adults use streaming services, while only 36% still subscribe to traditional cable or satellite TV. [1, 2]

Some sports news:

  • On the Silver Whisper, I was watching Texas get drubbed by Ohio State on ESPN by late in the third quarter, 23-3.  So I went to dinner.
  • This is Arch Manning, Texas QB.  We knew his grandfather (Archie), uncles (Peyton and Eli) and father (Cooper).
  • Well, he led a comeback of historic proportions.
  • Final score?  Texas 24 - Ohio State 23.
  • American Ben Shelton put up a good fight, but Alexander Zverev of Germany beat him for the Men's U.S. Open Tennis Championship.  Who is Ben Shelton?
    • 6'4", 23 years old and now ranked #4 in the world.
    • Started as a pro in 2022.
    • Father Bryan was a pro, and mother Lisa was a highly ranked junior tennis player.
  • The NFL began, but I have no fantasy teams, so will not be closely following these games. At least in NCAA football, I have three alma mater teams to follow.

At the end of a long trip, I always provide a summary.

  • Can't say it was perfect, but fine, maybe even great.
  • Can't believe I gained 10 pounds.  
  • Must be the reason why my knees hurt more when I walk.  Like carrying 10-pound bag of sugar.
    • After our last trip earlier this year, I gained 7 pounds.
    • Took me a couple of months to lose that, for only the day before the start of this latest, I finally got that weight back to normal.
    • Our next trip is in December, so I have three months.  Hope to accomplish this in a month.
  • A second negative is that we returned to 15 Craigside, and they were in the midst of a COVID outbreak.  The numbers were terrible ten days ago, even worse than during the pandemic.  But fewer active cases today.  We need to wear a mask, and this will continue for weeks to come.
  • Other than that, we're both fine...except for our combined weights.
  • Highlights?
    • Getting to Iceland for the first time in my life.  However, don't plan to go back again, ever.  That graphic is not what we saw.
    • Took a tour.  Wasn't much.  It was also raining during the entire bus ride.
  • The Azamara Journey cruise was only okay.  
    • Too long at 18 days.  I don't like to stay on a ship for more than a week.  
    • I'm a landlubber.  
    • The cuisine was good enough.
    • I asked the ship's band to sing Anak, and they did.

  • Cruised by several glaciers on Greenland.
  • Band again played Anak for me.

On August 26, the Azamara Journey arrived in Montreal, Canada.  I'll continue further highlights as Part 2 tomorrow.
-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 1 on the DIAMOND PRINCESS

But first, Sheraton Yokohama Bay highlights of our Sheraton Club eats/drinks and breakfasts. Breakfast stations. Then taxi off to the Diamond Princess.  Fall colors. Approaching from the rear of the Diamond Princess. Departure of Diamond Princess from Yokohama, Departure snack of lamb, beef, penne pasta, Johnny Walker Gold and champagne. Leaving Yokohama. We then went to Kai Sushi for dinner, Sushi and sake dinner, Then, off to Fun Dance Class. That followed by karaoke. The night continued into some old time disco.  Finally, after midnight, back to our stateroom.  Walked 4127 steps today. -

DAY 4 IN SEOUL: Most popular Korean Songs from the 1950's to the Present

Korean music was almost totally missing, growing up in Hawaii.  The exception was  Arirang .   Today, BTS and BLACKPINK resonate around the world.  In addition to the 600 year-old  Arirang,  what is the all-time #1?  My favorites are: Baby Shark , released by Pinkfong in 2016. For one, it is the most-viewed You Tube video ever, hitting 7 billion views and surpassing  Despacito  in 2022.   Is now up to 16.47 billion views, with  Despacito  at 9 billion. Top 10 music videos, based on data from   Kworb   and   Wikipedia :  Note that most are nursery songs. "Baby Shark Dance"   – Pinkfong Kids' Songs & Stories (16.47 billion) "Despacito"   – Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee (8.91 billion) "Wheels on the Bus"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (8.29 billion) "Bath Song"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (7.31 billion) "Johny Johny Yes Papa"   – LooLoo Kids (7.13 billion) "See You Again"   –...

HOW TO WATCH NETFLIX SHOWS

But first, maybe  President Donald Trump's 20-point Gaza Peace Plan is showing some progress .   No one expects the Hamas to accept all of them, but they did agree to release all captives and the act of handing over administration to Palestinian technocrats. So far, in the Gaza Strip, 66,288 have been killed and 169,165 wounded.   On 7October2023, almost two years ago, 1139 were killed in the initial Hamas-led attack. About my topic of the day, I've long been lamenting the overflow of watchable films and series available on Netflix and Prime.  Why expand into the plethora of other streaming options when I can't keep up with what I have, which costs me around $30/month.  And, of course, why venture out to a movie theater to end up watching a film that will cost me around that amount of money, when you add the popcorn, drink, gasoline cost, time it takes to get there and back, and the risk of a car accident or worse.  Oh, also getting infected with ...