MY LIFE: Part 3h--Incredible Journeys during Retirement...Episode Alpha--2005 La Reunion, Mauritius and Norway
We are just about to leave the Montreal Sheraton for the airport. Next stop? Vancouver.
Depends on how involved I get, Part 3h could itself have several chapters, for these incredible journeys might well have a life of their own. For example, here is a quote of one I took in 2005 when I was in my fifth year of retirement:
The Year 2005 was a particularly memorable one for me, highlighted by a trip to Europe and the Indian Ocean. I was already retired, but as no one wanted to represent Hawaii on a paid trip to La Reunion, which is located just east of Madagascar, I went. One of 18 French regions, with a population approaching 900,000 and land area about equal to Maui and Molokai combined.
I flew from Honolulu to Los Angeles to Paris to Saint Denis. Google says 10,287 miles, but that is going west from Honolulu. So I went to Google and added up the flights, giving me 11,458. It took forever and I caught a cold. When I landed it was raining...and I learned there was a Chikungunya outbreak. No kidding. Read that article. This virus eventually infected about a quarter of the population. Like COVID-19 there was no vaccine. The symptoms are like dengue fever, but a lot worse, for you can get crippled.
The first day was as boring as a conference could get. The rooms foreigners occupied were, and I'm being nice, barely tolerable. There were flying cockroaches, and worse, mosquitos, which transmitted the virus. Then came the day for what they said was a simple hike to a solar facility up in the mountains. So I showed up with the same shoes I wore coming over from Hawaii, and everyone else had those hiking boots, some with a walking stick. The organizers gave us a loaf of bread, a gallon of water and some cheese. That was all we would be eating/drinking for this overnight (we were to sleep on the floor of the facility) tour.
I coughed as badly as I could and bowed out. I asked if someone could drive me to Hotel Bellepierre up on the top of the hill (where there were no mosquitos). Best decision I made in my life, for this was a resort with a fabulous view and no mosquitos. The food was terrific, and I ended up staying there until the end.
The last day of the sessions I made an impassioned plea for cooperation, touting the Blue Revolution. The conference organizers loved the concept, so they later sent to Hawaii a team to explore what we were doing. Of all the coincidences (the Gould family above), we had lunch at Orchids, next to House Without a Key, where we took this photo with Diamond Head.
A group from Mauritius liked what I said and asked if I could come over to their island, which was around 145 miles away, to give a talk on the Blue Revolution. I did, and the days I spent on their island were even better than my hideaway on Reunion. The resort I was sent to was like Mauna Kea Beach Hotel with a better buffet, with free champagne for breakfast. Mauritius joined the Blue Revolution.
I might add that drugs, racial unrest and unemployment were also problems on Reunion. French colonies just do not do well. Mauritius was a British colony, and there was ethnic harmony here. Lee Kuan Yew came here to learn how to establish a similar society for Singapore.
This was also a prosperous community. One misfortune is that this was where the Dodo bird became extinct in 1662.
The leader of the group was president of Air Mauritius, and he arranged for me to fly back to Paris in first class:
The flight from Mauritius to Paris was, courtesy of Arjoon Suddhoo, in First Class, and wonderful. However, I soon noted that virtually every notable location we flew over started with an M: Mauritius, Madagascar, Mombasa, Mogadishu, Misratah, Mediterranean Sea (and several other seas, which, when you approach Italy, become Mer, for Sea), between Marseille and Monaco, at which point I began to get worried. I still had that M Curse in my mind. Clearly, this was a clue that the plane would be hijacked and flown to Munich, or, more probably, Moscow. However, as we approached Paris, riots were still going on, and the city was, indeed, burning. The civil unrest was worrisome, so I immediately transferred planes at Charles De Gaulle for Oslo.
Norway was cold, but relaxing. When you saw a leaf rolling on the pavement, it was a leaf, not a cockroach, like on Reunion. Reminded me of my escape from Papua Guinea to Brisbane. I then flew to Bergen where the conferees said:- Whereas, fishing fleets need to travel greater distances for diminishing catches.
- Whereas, some aquacultured products may suffer from the concentration of chemical toxins or drugs, and may be affected by diseases.
- Whereas, the consumption of seafood is increasing relative to beef, chicken and pork, being stimulated by the growing human population and recognized nutritional benefits of bioproducts from the sea.
- Whereas, the seafood industry faces increasing challenges posed by fish stock depletion worldwide and international fishing regulations.
- Whereas......it goes on and on to produce the Bergen Declaration for Next Generation Fisheries.
I certainly don't want to return to La Reunion, but have long been planning a return to Mauritius. To quote:
- I had Mauritius as a stop on my Winter 2025 trip, getting there on a cruise from Doha, Qatar.
- Unfortunately, it is too dangerous to get to Mauritius via Qatar, or any port in the Middle East.
- There is a new cruise terminal that became operational in Port Louis, Mauritius, and cruise lines go there, including the ship we just sailed on, the AZAMARA JOURNEY.
- These are:
- Departure Date: March 28, 2028
- Duration: 17 nights
- Route: Singapore to Port Louis, Mauritius
- Ship: Seven Seas Mariner
- Azamara: Operates itineraries like the 17-night Azamara Onward Singapore to Mauritius voyage, stopping in Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India, and the Maldives before reaching Mauritius. [1, 2]
- Other Lines: Cruise lines like Norwegian Cruise Line and TUI Cruises also feature occasional repositioning or grand Indian Ocean voyages departing Singapore and visiting Mauritius. [1, 2]
-











Comments
Post a Comment