Skip to main content

JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE.

The one breakthrough piece of news this morning is that Judge Timothy Kelly granted a temporary restraining order for the White House to allow banned news organization to regain their passes.  The White House responded by declaring that access had been restored as of 9:55AM EDT this morning.  But this will hardly be the end of this story.

Otherwise, read my posting of yesterday regarding the scheduled meetings, dinner and such between Donald Trump and Xi Jinping.  In other words, nothing much will happen, except this economic "truce" will be extended into January 2027.

Similarly, to be Hurricane Nolo threatening Hawaii is now following model projections, and what I said yesterday also prevails today.  Here is the morning news about this storm from the local Star-Advertiser.

Otherwise, Episode 55 of Kilauea Volcano, which on September 10, two weeks ago, I predicted should occur while our Silver Whisper was docked in Hilo....had not yet re-erupted.  How do I know?  I just now re-asked Google AI:
No, the main lava-fountaining event for Episode 55 of Kīlauea volcano has not occurred yet. [1, 2]
  • Event Status: Episode 55 is currently on hold or postponed.
  • Precursors: Precursory activity, including minor glow, flames, and over 100 small lava overflows, began around September 7, 2026.
  • Why it is delayed: Structural changes at the summit, including new minor vents that opened and stagnated, and a large 40-foot spatter cone clogging the North Vent, have temporarily dissipated pressure.
  • Alert Level: Kīlauea remains at a Volcano Alert Level of WATCH and an Aviation Color Code of ORANGE. [1, 2, 3]

When I returned from my total eclipse of the sun trip, I weighed myself and was shocked to see that I had gained 12 pounds.  Now I know why my knees hurt when I walked on board the Silver Whisper.  Nine days later, I was down 12.5 pounds to a desirable 154.4 pounds.  My knees now do not hurt.  

How did I accomplish this feat?  At home in 15 Craigside, I can control my diet, exercise more regularly and live securely and comfortably.  Also, I avoided alcohol during this period.  Yet, I'm astonished I lost that much weight so quickly.  I've never before had to do this.  In fact, from the age of 50 to 80 I weighed 165 pounds and could not lose even 4 pounds when I tried.  A few years ago I just ate less and exercised more, resulting in a reduction to 155 pounds, what I consider to be a desirable level in the normal range of the body mass index.

The title of my posting today is JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE.  It does rain here.  Hurricane Nolo will begin to affect Honolulu from tomorrow.  But here is video of what I saw from my computer yesterday.

These are typically meals I pick up from the dining room, with enhancements to make them more palatable.  Chicken Katsu with hamachi  sashimi.

Somen salad.

I determined in my recent diet that I could eat these high calorie meals, if I keep my breakfast to fruits and yogurt for breakfast, and a third meal of soup of salad.  And no alcohol.  It worked!!!

The winner of America's Got Talent was 16-year old Nene Royal, from Phuket, Thailand.  All her performances.  She already has a Wikipedia page.

  • Born Rattikarn Amloy in 2010 in Phuket, Thailand.
  • Called Praew by her family and friends.
  • Began playing the guitar at 6, and is self-taught.
  • She wanted to study computing in school, but could not be accommodated (whatever that means), so instead enrolled in music.
  • Back home, is in Grade 11 and performs at the Naka Weekend night market in Phuket.
  • At the age of 15, entered America's Got Talent season 21, and for her live audition, performed Zombie.  
    • This became the most-viewed of all the auditions.  
    • Maybe it's my old age, but I just couldn't appreciate her talent.
    • In comparison, here is Zombie by the Cranberries, an Irish alternative rock band.  Released in 1994, 32 years ago, as a protest song.
  • After this experience, she was invited to a Cabinet meeting of Thailand's Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, where they announced that the government would support her for all expenses at AGT performances.
  • She missed the cut, but was invited back by Howie Mandel in a round called Judges' Callbacks.  Her Hysteria got over 2 million views in 24 hours.  This made her one of the acts into the live shows.
  • She performed Black Hole Sun in the quarterfinals, leading these judges comments:
Mandel was the first to comment, saying, "I know I'm not supposed to say this. NBC, give her the million right now."[44] Vergara said, "Nene, I think you could really win this competition... You can play that guitar...insanely."[43] Mel B said, "How could I not do this" and gave Nene the Golden Buzzer, sending her directly to the final.[47][48]

  • Also after that success, Thailand's second-richest family (Chearavanont) gave her family a luxury condominium in Bangkok
  • She got last night from America's Got Talent a MILLION DOLLARS.
  • When I began composing this posting, JUST ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE was a title to describe my life in Hawaii.  However, it clearly applies more to Nene, and she has 70 more years to accomplish a lot more than me.  
  • Oh, if you watched AGT this week, Simon Cowell was missing.  Why?  Just routine back surgery from an earlier accident.
  • Finally, my favorite act was by Unitree Robotics from Hangzhou, China.  Watch this video.  AI and human robots are getting too real.
-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 1 on the DIAMOND PRINCESS

But first, Sheraton Yokohama Bay highlights of our Sheraton Club eats/drinks and breakfasts. Breakfast stations. Then taxi off to the Diamond Princess.  Fall colors. Approaching from the rear of the Diamond Princess. Departure of Diamond Princess from Yokohama, Departure snack of lamb, beef, penne pasta, Johnny Walker Gold and champagne. Leaving Yokohama. We then went to Kai Sushi for dinner, Sushi and sake dinner, Then, off to Fun Dance Class. That followed by karaoke. The night continued into some old time disco.  Finally, after midnight, back to our stateroom.  Walked 4127 steps today. -

HOW TO WATCH NETFLIX SHOWS

But first, maybe  President Donald Trump's 20-point Gaza Peace Plan is showing some progress .   No one expects the Hamas to accept all of them, but they did agree to release all captives and the act of handing over administration to Palestinian technocrats. So far, in the Gaza Strip, 66,288 have been killed and 169,165 wounded.   On 7October2023, almost two years ago, 1139 were killed in the initial Hamas-led attack. About my topic of the day, I've long been lamenting the overflow of watchable films and series available on Netflix and Prime.  Why expand into the plethora of other streaming options when I can't keep up with what I have, which costs me around $30/month.  And, of course, why venture out to a movie theater to end up watching a film that will cost me around that amount of money, when you add the popcorn, drink, gasoline cost, time it takes to get there and back, and the risk of a car accident or worse.  Oh, also getting infected with ...

DAY 4 IN SEOUL: Most popular Korean Songs from the 1950's to the Present

Korean music was almost totally missing, growing up in Hawaii.  The exception was  Arirang .   Today, BTS and BLACKPINK resonate around the world.  In addition to the 600 year-old  Arirang,  what is the all-time #1?  My favorites are: Baby Shark , released by Pinkfong in 2016. For one, it is the most-viewed You Tube video ever, hitting 7 billion views and surpassing  Despacito  in 2022.   Is now up to 16.47 billion views, with  Despacito  at 9 billion. Top 10 music videos, based on data from   Kworb   and   Wikipedia :  Note that most are nursery songs. "Baby Shark Dance"   – Pinkfong Kids' Songs & Stories (16.47 billion) "Despacito"   – Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee (8.91 billion) "Wheels on the Bus"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (8.29 billion) "Bath Song"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (7.31 billion) "Johny Johny Yes Papa"   – LooLoo Kids (7.13 billion) "See You Again"   –...