Skip to main content

JAPAN'S 2011 EARTHQUAKE/TSUNAMI/NUCLEAR CATACLYSM: Part 4

Yesterday I talked about Powerball.  Last night a ticket sold in Altadena, California won $2.04 billion.  The winning numbers were 10, 33, 41, and 56 for the white balls, and 10 for the red Powerball.  The previous record was $1.586 billion won by three ticketholders.  The announcement was 10 hours late because of a problem with processing sales.  How's this for luck:  the odds of winning were 1 in 292.2 million.

Apparently, if you got infected with the COVID-19 virus, and took Paxlovid, doing so reduced your risk of long COVID.  There is no data on how well this treatment works if you haven't had this disease. and later get infected. Would be worth a study.  Learn more about Paxlovid by clicking here and here.  There is that matter of rebound that has occurred to some.

Yesterday my posting seemed to be the only source of optimism for Democrats.  But who am I, plus I've never done this before.  Much will depend how much the Trump-effect affects those marginal 10% Republicans and 20% Independents who are negatively influenced by the Donald.  There reportedly are 200 Republican candidates running today linked to Trump.  If they do well, look for his announcement later this week to run for president in 2024.  Then worry a lot.  After polls close, follow-up-to-the-minute results in key Senate, House and governor races. 

Well, Tuesday is nostalgia day, and before returning to Tokyo, as part four of my adventure in the Orient in March of 2011, I had one of my best meals of my life at Jung Sik-dang in Seoul, rivaling Noma (Copenhagen), La Terrazza (Rome) and Konigshof Restaurant (Munich).  With me is Chef Yim Jung-Sik.  The second salad was particularly artistic, and this is how you selected your tea.

So on to my Orient adventures following that catastrophic earthquake/tsunami/nuclear cataclysm Japan experienced on 11March2011.  It all started calmly in Thailand, then my chaotic stop in Japan, escape to China and semi-return to Seoul.  On 22March2011 I flew to Narita, one of only a very few on my Asiana flight.  The airport was a mess with most still trying to escape Japan.  Not certain of how things would be in Tokyo, I thought I might as well enjoy a bit of luxury with this excellent Korean meal.

Yes, it seems unseemly and discrepant to, on the one hand, review the worst natural disaster ever for Japan, while being over the top indulgent with those cuisine entries.  This my way of providing balance, while attempting to continue enjoying life while wading through disaster.  I really felt endangered.

The Airport limousine bus service was re-activated, so on I went to the Tokyo Westin, where the occupancy was said to be 12%.  On Day 12 of the Great Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami, the Huffington Post published two of my articles:

I said:

 Fukushima #2 and #3 nuclear reactors remain testy.  I fear the plutonium from #3.  The seawater 100 meters south of this stricken site was finally measured, and, no great surprise, but the radiation level was from 16 (Cesium-137) to 127 (Iodine-131) times higher than government standards. 

There was a strong earthquake that rocked my hotel.  On Day 13 I reported:

1.  Tap water in Tokyo has already been officially declared as dangerous for human consumption. 

2.  That Fukushima plutonium #3 reactor is getting out of control, and all my friends and family are telling me to get back to Hawaii.  But winds today are pushing the Fukushima radioactive junk to Hawaii, not Tokyo.  So maybe my Nagasaki sojourn makes some geographical sense.
3.  The radioactivity in Tokyo compared to yesterday is up by 20% and I can't drink the tapwater, which I don't anyway, as bottle water is universally available.  But should I take a shower?
4.  Itate (Fukushima) was at 10.5 microsieverts yesterday, and is up to 15 today.  There is a definite upwards trend.
5.  By the way, the tsunami at Fukushima reached (not amplitude, but run-off) 14 meters (46 feet), but the reactors  were protected for for less than 6 meters.
6.  The current Japanese permissible industrial radiation dosage today is 12 times that of France.
7.  The latest cost of this disaster in Japan is up to $309 billion. Katrina damage could have been $250 billion, although many think this is an exaggeration.   The National Hurricane Center has indicated that the total should be $81 billion,  The Great Chile Earthquake and Tsunami of 2010 reported insurance damage at $225 million, yes, MILLION, although industrial losses are up to $10 billion.

In 2019 I saw this headline:

Fukushima's Final Costs Will Approach A Trillion Dollars Just for the Nuclear Disaster

A photo of my breakfast.

On 24March2011, which is Day 14, I noticed just below my window, Robuchon's.  At the age of 28 he was the youngest to earn 3 Michelin stars, and was named chef of the century in 1989.  He mentored Gordon Ramsay.  So I went to dinner at Robuchon.
There were other courses, but you can read the details here.  The best French meal I ever had.

The radiation level kept increasing, so I decided to Shinkansen west to Fukuoka, where I will continue next week as part five.

Nicole will become a hurricane tomorrow and make landfall over Florida.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A NEXT COVID SUBVARIANT?

By now most know that the Omicron BA.5 subvariant has become the dominant infectious agent, now accounting for more than 80% of all COVID-19 cases.  Very few are aware that a new one,   BA.4.6,  is sneaking in and steadily rising, now accounting for 13% of sequenced samples .  However, as BA.4.6 has emerged from BA.4, while there is uncertainty, the scientific sense is that the latest bivalent booster targeting BA.4 and BA.5 should also be effective for this next threat. One concern is that Evusheld--the only monoclonal antibody authorized for COVID prevention in immunocompromised individuals--is not effective against BA.4.6.  Here is a  reference  as to what this means.  A series of two injections is involved.  Evusheld was developed by British-Swedish company AstraZeneca, and is a t ixagevimab  co-packaged with  cilgavimab . More recently, Los Angeles County reported on  subvariant BA.2.75.2 . which Tony Fauci termed suspicious and troublesome.  This strain has also been spreading in

Part 3: OUR NEXT AROUND THE WORLD ODYSSEY

Before I get into my third, and final, part of this cruise series, let me start with some more newsworthy topics.  Thursday was my pandemic day for years.  Thus, every so often I return to bring you up to date on the latest developments.  All these  subvariants  derived from that Omicron variant, and each quickly became dominant, with slightly different symptoms.  One of these will shock you. There has been a significant decline in the lost of taste and smell.  From two-thirds of early patients to now only 10-20% show these symptoms. JN.1, now the dominant subvariant, results in mostly mild symptoms. However, once JN.1 infects some, there seem to be longer-lasting symptoms. Clearly, the latest booster helps prevent contracting Covid. A competing subvariant,  BA.2.86,  also known as Pirola , a month ago made a run, but JN.1 prevailed. No variant in particular, but research has shown that some of you will begin to  lose hair  for several months.  This is caused by stress more than anythi

THE CRYPTO REVOLUTION

Is this the beginning of the next pandemic surge?  From the  New York Times  this morning. You've read about  Philadelphia's return to indoor masks .   But what about the other regions?   Remember when the Alpha variant hit Michigan and Minnesota about a year ago...then fizzled?   So sure predictions are difficult.  Of course, most new cases are being caused by the Omicron BA.2 subvariant, the most contagious virus yet, but the combination of vaccinations, high number of previous asymptomatic cases, home tests ( which are generally not reported ) and mildness of the resultant symptoms is not affecting the hospitalization rate, with a continuing decline of death rates.   We are now in the mode of uncertainty tinged with optimism. The  crypto world is erupting .  It's possible that this could become a revolution.  However, anything relatively new remains perilous, and this financing option could just as easily blow up into obscurity, for the system is vulnerable to too many r