Skip to main content

THE GOOD LIFE AT 15 CRAIGSIDE

What could be better than a nearly two months around the world trip, mostly flying, but also including three different cruises, plus six days in New York City?   I called it OMG Adventure, for Our Momentous Global Adventure.  The journey was, indeed, monumental and mostly enjoyable.  We were most thankful, however, for maintaining good health throughout the circuit, as we caught 11 planes (where I more recently reported that this is dangerous regarding COVID-19) and two out of the three cruises had covid outbreaks.  There were days when I thought, boy, wouldn't it be nice to avoid all this stress by staying home.

Home is 15 Craigside,  a senior's community in Honolulu.  We go on trips because we're getting old, for every one could well be the last.  We do have a major adventure coming up this fall/winter, with two cruises, one from Seattle all the way through the Panama Canal to Southampton (UK), then a second being on a European Christmas river boat.  But about 15C, the weather here is the best on the planet, and more so within our building, we are free to do nothing, or participate in a wide range of activities.  For example.

  • I tend to go golfing weekly.  I now ride a cart, but still walk an equivalent of 3 miles or so.  My pedometer readings last week and this past Wednesday.  Even though I'm mostly riding, those are also 3-mile walks.  Exercise is crucial, and we also have a wellness center with all those machines, plus assorted classes for balance, strength, Tai Chi, yoga and the like.

  • My retirement attitude is, if I'm asked to do any volunteer work, I want to be paid.  I now only do things for myself.  However, there are exceptions.  For example, the residents of 15C put on a three-day (lasts all day) summer course for children of our staff.  A dozen students are taught what we are taught:  ikebana (flower arrangement), bon odori (a Japanese summer dance festival), and so forth.  My assistance is minimal, but how can you not participate?  I would lecture them on the Blue Revolution, but that kind of teaching is too much for the summertime.


We get community orchestras and bands to regularly entertain us, as for example below, Legacy.  They play music old people like.

Quite a choice.  I picked the Strawberry Snowthie.  Of course, they are free.
I mentioned a couple of days ago that I walked through each floor of our building to see if Covid-19 had spread in the building.  Found five doors with all those scary signs.   However, while I was at that, I also took a few scenic photos of our sights...if you don't mind graveyards.

I was born in this year of the Dragon.  Events to come.
They do sometimes treat us like we are kindergartners.  Some things also I just don't do, like bingo, tea time and line dancing.

I'll close with a hopeful sign for the future.  There was once a Vintage Cave Club in Honolulu.  You paid a  $5000 membership to have the finest Japanese meal you can find anywhere.  I thought this was the best restaurant in Hawaii.  The cost of each visit is deducted from your balance.  You also have access to fine wines, but can also store your own wines in a personal locker at the Club.  The artworks on the wall were museum-like, as for example, 19 Picassos.

Well, it suddenly closed during the pandemic and a fight with the Ala Moana Shopping Center.  VCC also kept our wines and balance, which was not much anyway.  Then, when we were just away for our global adventure, I got an e-mail saying to please pick up my wines.  Also, the balance can be spent at their Tokyo restaurant

So today, I pick up my wines.  I also checked out the internet what I could learn about Vintage Cave Tokyo.  Apparently their membership price is $10 million, so the restaurant food and service must be fabulous:

Membership is limited 999 members globally and 
requires a US$10 million membership participation per member.
The VCC 999 fund will be managed by the joint venture in 
New York between Stifel and VCC 999.

-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 1 on the DIAMOND PRINCESS

But first, Sheraton Yokohama Bay highlights of our Sheraton Club eats/drinks and breakfasts. Breakfast stations. Then taxi off to the Diamond Princess.  Fall colors. Approaching from the rear of the Diamond Princess. Departure of Diamond Princess from Yokohama, Departure snack of lamb, beef, penne pasta, Johnny Walker Gold and champagne. Leaving Yokohama. We then went to Kai Sushi for dinner, Sushi and sake dinner, Then, off to Fun Dance Class. That followed by karaoke. The night continued into some old time disco.  Finally, after midnight, back to our stateroom.  Walked 4127 steps today. -

DAY 4 IN SEOUL: Most popular Korean Songs from the 1950's to the Present

Korean music was almost totally missing, growing up in Hawaii.  The exception was  Arirang .   Today, BTS and BLACKPINK resonate around the world.  In addition to the 600 year-old  Arirang,  what is the all-time #1?  My favorites are: Baby Shark , released by Pinkfong in 2016. For one, it is the most-viewed You Tube video ever, hitting 7 billion views and surpassing  Despacito  in 2022.   Is now up to 16.47 billion views, with  Despacito  at 9 billion. Top 10 music videos, based on data from   Kworb   and   Wikipedia :  Note that most are nursery songs. "Baby Shark Dance"   – Pinkfong Kids' Songs & Stories (16.47 billion) "Despacito"   – Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee (8.91 billion) "Wheels on the Bus"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (8.29 billion) "Bath Song"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (7.31 billion) "Johny Johny Yes Papa"   – LooLoo Kids (7.13 billion) "See You Again"   –...

THE VERY BEST MOVIE MUSICALS

Two weeks ago I featured the   best dance films.   Many of them are repeated here because where there is dance, there is also music.  An excellent best musical list from   IndieWire : #1    Singin' in the Rain (1954) #2    All that Jazz (Bob Fosse, 1979) #3    West Side Story (1961) #4    Dancer in the Dark (2000), featuring Björk #5    Mary Poppins (1964), nominated for 13 Oscars #6    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) #7    The Wizard of Oz (1939) #8    Nashville (1975) #9    Cabaret (1972) #10  Moulin Rouge (2001) #11  The Sound of Music (1965) #12  La La Land (2016) #13  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) #14  My Fair Lady (1964) #15  Fiddler on the Roof (1971) #16  The Red Shoes (1948) #17  A Star is Born (1954), there was another in 1937, then 1976, and finally 2018.  The 1954 version starred Judy Garland and James Mason. #18  The...