Skip to main content

MY LIFE IS JUST ABOUT TO CHANGE

We all have had life-changing moments, and beginning tomorrow I will return to work for the rest of the year after 21 years of blissful retirement.  I will still board the Island Princess on 19January2022 to begin my world cruise.

Some of my sudden past transitions include:

  • Leaving Hawaii for the very first time in 1958 to begin college at Stanford University.
  • Starting my academic life in 1972 at the University of Hawaii, where my presence in my office during the summer of next year will mean I will have been on the Manoa Campus for 50 years.
  • I was, however, away once from 1979 to 1982 working for Senator Spark Matsunaga in DC, where I drafted the original legislation for hydrogen and ocean thermal energy conversion.
So what is it that I will do for the next six months?  All that will unfold over the next few days in this blog.

Today, I will focus on my final weekend of dabbling for the rest of the year, where I went out of my way to do what I have mostly been doing since I retired at the end of 1999...almost nothing.  Mind you, I did publish three books and wrote for The Huffington Post during these past two decades, so it was not all frivolous.

So anyway, everything was triggered by my changing TV stations Saturday afternoon, when I noticed that the final half an hour of Sleepless in Seattle was playing.  I never, never just watch a movie at this stage, but did this for just about the first time.  Here were Tom Hanks, Ross Malinger and Meg Ryan on their way to the top of the Empire State Building, when on comes Tammy Wynette's Stand By Your Man.  A snippet, but just enough to change my life that day.  I had recently completed viewing all 16 episodes of a South Korean series on Netflix, Something in the Rain, and each one had at least one full rendering of that song.  Just one tune can make a difference in what you next do.

In the movie, mention is made of a 1957 film, An Affair to Remember, starring Deborah Kerr and Cary Grant.  Yes, they met on a cruise.  That plot also used the top of the Empire State Building as a signal moment.  Rotten Tomatoes audiences gave it a good 87 rating.  However, the original was called Love Affair, with Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer, where reviewers scored it 86.

I was thus at a crossroad after dinner.  More nostalgia?  Do I next go on to Irene Dunne, perhaps in Roberta, where she sings Smoke Gets in Your Eyes?  But then, I had recently recorded King Solomon's Mine, rated 92 by RT reviewers, starring Deborah Kerr and Steward Granger.  I'm an aficionado of this film, for I've seen four of the five versions and a couple of related efforts.  So on to the 1950 Kerr movie.  I then remembered I had the CD for the 1956 The King and I, where Deborah Kerr sang again.  Of course, her voice was that of Marnie Nixon, for this and An Affair to Remember.  Kerr passed away in 2007 at the age of 86.  I went to bed late last night.

So tomorrow, something a lot more technological.  Progress on the Blue Revolution.  But to close, the first two photos I took with a brand new Sony RX100 VII.  My view from where I sit cranking out these postings:


-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAY 1 on the DIAMOND PRINCESS

But first, Sheraton Yokohama Bay highlights of our Sheraton Club eats/drinks and breakfasts. Breakfast stations. Then taxi off to the Diamond Princess.  Fall colors. Approaching from the rear of the Diamond Princess. Departure of Diamond Princess from Yokohama, Departure snack of lamb, beef, penne pasta, Johnny Walker Gold and champagne. Leaving Yokohama. We then went to Kai Sushi for dinner, Sushi and sake dinner, Then, off to Fun Dance Class. That followed by karaoke. The night continued into some old time disco.  Finally, after midnight, back to our stateroom.  Walked 4127 steps today. -

DAY 4 IN SEOUL: Most popular Korean Songs from the 1950's to the Present

Korean music was almost totally missing, growing up in Hawaii.  The exception was  Arirang .   Today, BTS and BLACKPINK resonate around the world.  In addition to the 600 year-old  Arirang,  what is the all-time #1?  My favorites are: Baby Shark , released by Pinkfong in 2016. For one, it is the most-viewed You Tube video ever, hitting 7 billion views and surpassing  Despacito  in 2022.   Is now up to 16.47 billion views, with  Despacito  at 9 billion. Top 10 music videos, based on data from   Kworb   and   Wikipedia :  Note that most are nursery songs. "Baby Shark Dance"   – Pinkfong Kids' Songs & Stories (16.47 billion) "Despacito"   – Luis Fonsi ft. Daddy Yankee (8.91 billion) "Wheels on the Bus"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (8.29 billion) "Bath Song"   – Cocomelon Nursery Rhymes (7.31 billion) "Johny Johny Yes Papa"   – LooLoo Kids (7.13 billion) "See You Again"   –...

THE VERY BEST MOVIE MUSICALS

Two weeks ago I featured the   best dance films.   Many of them are repeated here because where there is dance, there is also music.  An excellent best musical list from   IndieWire : #1    Singin' in the Rain (1954) #2    All that Jazz (Bob Fosse, 1979) #3    West Side Story (1961) #4    Dancer in the Dark (2000), featuring Björk #5    Mary Poppins (1964), nominated for 13 Oscars #6    The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (1964) #7    The Wizard of Oz (1939) #8    Nashville (1975) #9    Cabaret (1972) #10  Moulin Rouge (2001) #11  The Sound of Music (1965) #12  La La Land (2016) #13  Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) #14  My Fair Lady (1964) #15  Fiddler on the Roof (1971) #16  The Red Shoes (1948) #17  A Star is Born (1954), there was another in 1937, then 1976, and finally 2018.  The 1954 version starred Judy Garland and James Mason. #18  The...